Thursday Island

Posted on December 16, 2017 by admin No Comments

In the afternoon we sailed the short distance across to the larger Thursday Island which is known locally as “TI’.  Where the Captain skillfully docked the vessel.

Norm was keen to visit the Anglican Cathedral which was designed by his ecclesiastical architect grandfather, John Hingston Buckeridge.  The original wooden building has been replaced with stone, and a porch added to the front.  Originally the Carpentaria Cathedral it was re-decicated as The Quetta Memorial Cathedral after the S.S. Quetta struck an uncharted rock near Mt. Aldlphus Island and Albany Island in 1890 and sank with a loss of 133 souls and 158 survivors.  This disaster  is still one of Australis greatest maritime tradegdies.  Wikipedia information.

TI was the original administrative capital of Tores Strait and one of the most remote out-posts of the British Empire.  Also the nearby Accession Island is of historical significance  According to Wickipedia – Captain Cook on  – “Reaching the tip of Queensland, he named and landed on Possession Island, just before sunset on 22 August 1770, and declared the coast British territory in the name of King George III. Cook wrote in his journal: “I now once more hoisted English Coulers and in the Name of His Majesty King George the Third  took possession of the whole Eastern Coast…by the name New South Wales, together with all the Bays, Harbours Rivers and Islands situate upon the said coast.”


Because we visited on a Sunday and the township was very quiet, but we had to pay a visit to Australia’s Northernmost Pub, the Torres Hotel.

We also took a short tour around the island and up to the highest point, Milman Hill and then onto Green Hill Fort where which is still relatively intact with the WWII gun emplacdements. The views from there were wonderful.

Before sailing, the Captain had to load a huge fishing trawler that needed repairs to be carried out back in Cairns. As the sun went down, the operation had to be completed under lights. It looked like a very challenging and tricky procedure.

At 6.30 on Monday morning we docked at the wharf at Seisia, Bamaga at the top of Cape York. It was very exciting to watch our Kamper being transferred to the wharf, followed by a huge shipping container in which our Patrol had been transported. It was an odd site to see the Patrol being driven out of the container and along the wharf.

We enjoyed one final delicious breakfast on board before it was time to join our rig and set out on the next stage of our great adventure.


In our next adventgure we amb led around the Top End of Australia.


No comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *